Friday, March 2, 2012

The Kindness of Strangers

The kindness of strangers always amazes me. There's something magical in how a total stranger can sometimes step up somewhere where even a friend might not have.

Last week, we had a pretty big snowfall. The next day, I'm trying to go to work and my car won't move. As in at all. I can't go forward, I can't go backwards. I've shoveled the snow from underneath the tires and in front of them and I finally get out of the car, stare at it and sigh.

Some random man walks by and simply says "well I'll push you and you'll be on your way!". He was so optimistic and timely! He then did just then, pushed me out (which still require a few minutes of pressing on the gas and him pushing with all his might) and once I was out I opened my door to thank him, he nodded and kept on his way. In the ephoria of the moment, I forgot to ask him his name.

Isn't that wonderful? If it wasn't for him, I don't know what I would have done.. Call a friend? Who would really want to get dressed, get out of their apartement and meet you on your street to help you push your car out of the snowbank? It just seems like a lot to ask. And yet, this complete strangers offered it. While yes, it was more convenient for him as he was already in the location, it is still quite something that I didn't even have to ask.

This isn't the first time someone pushed me out of a snowbank. And I've never asked.

And everytime my heart fills with hope in human kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment