Friday, April 2, 2010

Here are my problems

You know one thing I hate? People transferring their problems unto my shoulders. Example: you are walking down the street all innocently and someone stops you and ask you where this restaurant is. You have no clue and say so and then they just stare at you. You mumble 'sorry' and then they start explaining how the restaurant is supposed to be on this street but they can't find it and they are late and bla bla bla. All the while you are standing there, trying to looking compassionate, but you feel trapped and guilty because you can't help them. And like that, they've made their problems yours! A complete stranger. You didn't offer your help, they interrupted your brisk walk to your destination. And as much as you wouldn't mind helping them out if you could, you can't. So why can't they just say "oh well thank you" and let you go? Why do they have to hold on to dear life to you as their savior? Maybe I'm the one who's too sensitive in feeling like now i have to find a solution for them. But nonetheless.

And when I was receptionist (and still occasionally am, when the current receptionist is absent) i felt the same way. When people called and needing to speak to a certain person urgently, and that certain person is not at their desk, it is suddenly your responsibility to get up, go to their desk, walk around, look in the caf, open the bathroom stalls one by one to find them for them. (ok i'm kidding about the bathroom...) Is it just me? Why can't I just say "well I'm sorry they are not there, i'll give him the message". No, i have to do everything in my power to solve this problem as it became MY problem since you're using me as a tool to solve it. I really hate it. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't be hating myself for caring so much. Maybe eh?

1 comment:

  1. Woot woot, yay for rambling and yay for blogging! ;)

    I know exactly what you mean about people hating on receptionists... happens to me all the time!

    ReplyDelete